Skip to content ↓


How do I know which school to choose?

Firstly– don’t panic! This process can feel really daunting, but there are lots of people who can help you. There will have been a recommendation that your child may need a specialist provision– perhaps from your Speech and Language Therapist, school, nursery or Surrey SEN. They will have recommended a type of provision, which will narrow down the options.  Start with looking at the provision that is most local to you and always consider ‘could I imagine my child doing well here?’

Arrange visits and keep communicating with your case worker as to your preferences.

How much support will my child get?

This is flexible and led by the needs of the child and what is stated on their EHCP. Children in the COIN centre can access regular Speech and Language Therapy sessions and specialist small group teaching. If a child is given a centre placement, they do not also have a number of hours of adult support.

How much time will my child spend in mainstream?

This is flexible and led by the needs of the child, but all children are expected to spend a proportion of their day in mainstream. All children have the same opportunities.

Can I get help with transport?

School do not make decisions regarding transport. Children in specialist placements from YR are eligible for transport assistance, depending on the distance between the school and their home address. Speak to your case officer about this.

My child can’t make themselves understood. How will they manage at school?

This can be worrying as a parent! We will make sure there are opportunities for your child to visit and you can tell us about your child. Bletchingley staff are very used to helping children who struggle to communicate when they first start.

Where do children go after they leave Bletchingley?

Any change of placement is agreed through the annual review process. Sometimes, children do not stay in the centre at Bletchingley until Year 6– some return to full time mainstream education if they no longer require such specialist input, and some move to more specialist settings.

At the end of Year 6 children leave the Centre to join other schools. Some return to full time mainstream education, some move on to Secondary COIN Centres and others to Special Schools. Transition is carefully prepared for and secondary school staff are invited to Year 6 pupils’ annual reviews as a matter of course.